Monday 30 October 2017

The Sockista Method

Hi there everyone 😊 So today I thought Id talk about socks. Well specifically hand knit socks. Great Balls of wool has a huge selection of sock yarn and needles to choose from so if you already know how to knit socks then you are all set! 

But if you do not know how or have never knit socks on circular needles or want to learn to knit two identical socks at the same time then you might be interested to know that Roisin teaches her own unique method of sock knitting here at GBOW. She has named it The Sockista Method. It is super duper easy to learn and there is  more than one opportunity for you to learn it from her. 

You can learn it directly from Roisin by joining the Sockista class here at GBOW. Thats what I call the everlasting sock class. Becuase you pay a one time membership fee and then the class is open to you to drop in on Tuesday afternoon from 1pm to 3pm and get any help you might need. The cool thing about this is that Roisin teaches a method NOT a pattern. Once you learn the method you can make your socks look like anything you want. Any pattern. The method is two socks from the toe up with and invisible cast on, and after thought heel and a ribbed top with a crochet cast off. 

But what if you don't live here??? No problem. Roisins method is available for free on her Great Balls of Wool website in the form of a youtube tutorial. You can watch it as many times as you like. Stopping and starting it whenever you need too until you get the hang of things. Or just learn at home in comfort sitting on your own sofa with a cup of tea.

 The above picture is of some great new sock yarn we just got in a couple days ago. Its the lastest thing. Super soft super wash Merino. Very soft. In this cool speckle dye color way. Poeple are making shawls out of it as well as socks! It's gorgeous.

This is photo is of Noro Silk Garden Sock. Still my all time favorite sock yarn. I have pictures below of two pairs of socks I am currently knitting out of this yarn. Which I will write about eventually. This yarn is also great for knitting shawls out of. Roisin's Chantal Poncho is knit out of one 100g ball of this yarn. 
 
 Now this yarn is a bit different. This is my hand dyed Opal sockyarn that I make exclusively for GBOW. Its dyed with commercial grade dyed from Maiwa on Granville Island in Vancouver. It is light fast. Wash fast. And fully durable. It will not fade or run color at all. Each skein is one of a kind and completely unique. They are 100g skeins. so they will be enough to make one adult pair of socks or one shawl or a hat and gloves. I will have to share a picture of the matching hat and gloves that Roisin made out of one skein! They are absolutely beautiful. Made with a free pattern from Ravelry.

This is a picture of just some of our sock yarn cubbies here at GBOW. There is lots more in other areas of the store that wouldn't fit into this picture. As I said we have LOTS of sock yarn. You will have so much to choose from you will be in yarn heaven! 
This is the commercially dyed Opal from Germany. We have that too!
 
Okay so I thought I'd include some stash pix of whats on my sock needles for inspiration and to give you a visual to go along with what I was saying about The Sockista Method. This is my favorite pair of socks on the needles right now. The wool is a relatively fine hand wash angora. It's self patterning. That means I am not knitting the pattern into it. The pattern is dyed onto the yarn at the factory and all I do is strait knit and it comes out patterned. these are just about to the point where I put in the marker yarn to hold the stitches for the after thought heel. so they are almost half way done. The needles are called Karbons. I really cannot say enough good things about Karbons. I just LOVE them. Expensive I suppose but you get what you pay for and good tools make easy working!!!
 
These next two pair of socks are both made out of Noro. I just LOVE Noro. Like Karbons I cannot say enough good things about Noro!!! It's beautiful. It's comfortable. It's hand wash but washes well. It wears well. It ROCKS. And it's a little thicker so it knits up faster and makes a slightly thicker sock. It's just everything yummy and good. Plus is doesn't split and is a colorful joy to touch and knit. So good. Really. I swear!

 Ok so below are the socks I work on when I want something challenging that really keeps me occupied.That's because this wool is fine and the needles are super duper fine. So if you are thinking of trying sock knitting for the first time... My advice is to choose yarn that is a little bit thicker. Like something you can use maybe a 3mm needle with. You will be so glad you did that in the end. Once you have made a couple pair you will be wanting to try your hand at the fine stuff!😁
Last but not least! This is a picture of my sock cute little sock bag 💖 I got it at the thrift store for a dollar. At first I was trying to carry all my knitting with me everywhere but I soon realized that I was going to have to dedicate an entire bag just to socks! I'm so glad I did. I carry my socks with me everywhere. Socks are the perfect tiny little project to have with you at all times for fidget value. I never sit in a doctors office or ferry line up happily without them now!

All right so that's about it! Actually I could write tones more about socks but this post is getting long already so I should probably wrap it up about now. 
Have a great day!
Happy sock knitting to those who already have the bug!
And I hope I have convinced a few new people to try it if you have not got the bug yet 😉

No comments: